Friday, February 22, 2008

Lantern Festival

We just celebrated Lantern Festival, which marks the first full moon of the Lunar New Year! To celebrate, the people here hang up lots of colorful lanterns, eat special rice balls, and shoot off fireworks from dusk until wee hours of the night! One of our teachers invited us over to teach us how to make what people here call tang yuan, which are gooey rice balls stuffed with red bean or peanut-buttery goodness. When I first had these, I didn't like them at all. (I think that was because the first one I ever ate was rather large, and instead of trying to eat it in small bites, I just put the whole thing in my mouth at one time and nearly choked on all the goo! haha) But now I think they're pretty tasty!That afternoon, we headed downtown with our teacher and as we were roaming around we came across the original gate to the city. This was the place that not too long ago everyone and everything had to pass through to get inside the walls of the city. What a stronghold!
Lift up your heads, O gates!
And be lifted up, O ancient doors,
that the King of glory may come in.

Later that night we decided to head out with the masses to watch fireworks!Whew-wee...there were lots of people! Thankfully we only experienced brief moments of clostrophobia! But the fireworks were truly spectacular!There were even fireworks that shot out little lanterns which would just float through the air!

No comments: